Heartworms are dangerous parasites that cause significant damage to your dog’s heart and lungs. Mosquitoes transmit these parasites, and all dogs are susceptible to their damaging effects. According to the Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC), heartworm prevalence has risen in areas previously considered low-risk, and all 50 states now report increases. Veterinarians recommend year-round protection for dogs to prevent these potentially life-threatening parasites. Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs is a heartworm preventive that kills heartworms and helps control intestinal parasites such as roundworms and hookworms.
Heartgard Plus Details
Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs contains 272 mcg of ivermectin and 227 mg of pyrantel pamoate in a tasty once-a-month, real beef chew that is safe for dogs and puppies six weeks and older. The medication requires a prescription from your veterinarian, and your pup must have a current negative heartworm test to receive the preventive safely. Heartgard Plus Chew kills heartworms in the larval stages and common intestinal parasites. The chew is available in three dosage strengths for different size dogs, and each strength comes in packages of 6 or 12 chewables. Side effects are rare but include lethargy, vomiting, anorexia, and diarrhea.
Heartgard Plus Pros and Cons
- Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs is the number one heartworm prevention choice of veterinarians.
- Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs protects against common intestinal parasites and heartworms.
- Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs is safe for puppies as young as 6 weeks old.
- Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs comes in three sizes to protect any size dog.
- Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs requires a negative heartworm test from your veterinarian before it can be administered.
- Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs must be given year-round, every month, to be effective.
Heartgard Plus Rave Reviews
Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs received 4.9 out of 5 stars on Chewy, and 99% of users would recommend the product to a friend. Here are a few stellar reviews from users:
- “Glory recognizes where they are kept, and she sits expectantly when I get them out. She loves the flavor, and it’s always easy to give them to her. She has a negative heartworm test every time she is checked, so they must be working!”
- “I’ve given my dogs Heartgard Plus my whole life, and it’s great! My dog loves it when he gets his monthly dose, and he takes it without hesitation.”
- “I’ve tried other heartworm medications, and I’ve always had to force them down my dog’s throat. Luckily, she takes Heartgard like a treat!”
You should protect your dog from heartworms year-round, and Heartgard Plus Chew for Dogs is an effective, safe product to prevent these parasites.
Information as of 6/30/22