MetLife began as National Union Life and Limb Insurance Company in July 1864, insuring U.S. Civil War sailors and soldiers against wartime disabilities. The company has grown immensely and now provides coverage in more than 40 countries. In 2021—to help pet owners manage veterinary expenses—MetLife expanded again and currently provides pet coverage. To help you manage expected and unexpected veterinary costs, MetLife offers flexible coverage options and hassle-free claims processing.
MetLife Pet Insurance Coverage Overview
Regardless of your pet’s age or breed, MetLife offers coverage with no lifetime or per-incident limits. Unlike most pet insurers who have an accident waiting period of up to 15 days, the company’s accident coverage begins on your policy’s effective date.
- Accidents, emergencies, and hospitalizations
- Illnesses, including hereditary, congenital, and chronic conditions
- Examinations, diagnostic tests, and surgeries
- X-rays and ultrasounds
- Cruciate ligament procedures
- Intervertebral disc disease procedures
- Medications, holistic care, and alternative therapies
- Prescription pet food
- Preventive care (available with optional preventive care coverage)
Expenses Not Covered
- Elective procedures
- Organ transplants
- Anal gland expression or removal
- Breeding or breeding-related conditions
- Vitamins and mineral supplements
- Illness or injury related to racing, coursing, commercial guarding, or organized pet fighting
- Pre-existing conditions (may not be covered)
MetLife Pet Insurance Advantages
Pet insurance can help you afford your pet’s veterinary care expenses. MetLife Pet Insurance policies provide the following benefits, especially compared to other companies:
- Flexibility — Pet owners can select from various coverage levels without having to consider breed exclusions or upper age limits.
- Convenience — Pets can receive care from any licensed veterinarian in the United States.
- Competitive rates — MetLife’s Pet Insurance rates are highly competitive, and the plans have no hidden fees.
- Hassle-free interactions — Pet owners can receive a quote in two minutes or less, enrollment is an easy three-step process, and claim submission is straightforward.
- Speedy reimbursement — Most claims are processed within ten days.
- Family plans — MetLife is the only provider to offer family plans, covering multiple pets in one policy.
- Virtual services — Pet owners can access virtual veterinary concierge services to seek advice about their pet’s condition.
- Dependability — MetLife’s extensive experience in the insurance field helps to ensure reliability. The company is the largest U.S. non-medical group carrier.
- Short waiting periods — Waiting periods are among the shortest in the industry.
- Grief counseling — MetLife offers optional grief counseling to support you when your pet passes away.
MetLife Pet Insurance Reimbursement Details
Pet owners can submit a claim through MetLife’s online portal or app or via fax, email, or public or private mailing services. MetLife Pet Insurance processes most claims within ten days and pays via direct deposit or paper check. Covered expense reimbursement depends on the following factors:
- Deductible — The deductible is the dollar amount you must pay toward your veterinary bill before your insurance company reimburses you. High deductible plans typically have a lower premium (i.e., the dollar amount you pay per month or year). Still, you must pay more out of pocket before your insurance company reimburses you. MetLife processes deductibles annually. MetLife Pet Insurance’s minimum deductible is $50, and the maximum deductible the company offers is $500.
- Reimbursement rate — The reimbursement rate is the percentage an insurance company reimburses you to cover your pet’s veterinary expenses. Typically, the higher the reimbursement rate, the higher your premium payments. MetLife Pet Insurance offers reimbursement of up to 100%, depending on the policy.
- Reimbursement limits — MetLife Pet Insurance offers annual reimbursement limits ranging from $2,000 to $10,000, depending on the plan. Annual limits cap your reimbursement within 12 months, meaning once you reach your annual reimbursement cap, you are responsible for the full cost of your veterinary expenses until your annual reimbursement limit resets.
MetLife Pet Insurance Rewards Program
For eligible policyholders, MetLife offers a rewards program that complements their pet insurance plan. Pet owners can redeem special offers from select businesses for products and services that keep their pets healthy. Eligible policyholders automatically receive rewards in their account, and they can redeem up to five exclusive pet rewards each calendar year.
MetLife Pet Insurance Discounts
When you enroll your pet in a MetLife Pet Insurance plan, you receive more than simply peace of mind regarding your pet’s medical expenses. MetLife offers pet owners many discounts, including the following:
- Multi-pet discount for insuring more than one pet on the same policy
- Multi-plan discount for insuring more than one pet on separate policies
- Employer benefit discount
- Affinity group discount
- Internet purchase discount
- Military, veteran, and first responder discount
- Healthcare worker discount
- Animal caretaker discount
Offering innovative, industry-leading benefits and competitive rates, MetLife Pet Insurance is an excellent option for pet owners who want to provide coverage for their four-legged friend’s veterinary care expenses. Be sure to carefully research available policy options to secure insurance coverage that suits your pet’s medical needs—and your wallet.
Fetch Your MetLife Pet Insurance Quote
See policy for full details.
Approximately 80% of claims are processed within 10 days.
Metropolitan General Insurance Company, Warwick, RI. Not available in all states.
Information as of 6/30/22