Founded in 2016 by three dog owners, Ollie is a subscription-based, fresh dog food delivery service. Ollie supplies customized, pre-portioned, minimally processed dog food made in human-grade kitchens, based on pet health experts’ advice. The Ollie team believes a dog’s health, happiness, and longevity begin with their food, and their goal is to provide healthy, all-natural foods to help dogs thrive. Ollie’s recipes focus on quality and freshness and contain large amounts of real animal protein, such as organ meats, as well as vegetables, fruits, and other nutritious ingredients that bolster canine health. Many dog owners who have tried Ollie’s fresh food report that their dogs have shinier coats, fewer allergies, less smelly poops, and more energy.
Ingredients and Recipes
Ollie’s recipes were created by vet nutritionists. They currently offer four recipes, which are formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) dog food nutrient profiles for all life stages, including growth of large dog breeds. Every recipe contains real meat as the first ingredient and has no fillers, artificial flavors, preservatives, or byproducts.
- Beef — Ollie’s beef recipe is all about the beef! Beef is the first ingredient, and beef kidney and beef liver add an extra nutritive protein punch. Other key ingredients include sweet potatoes, peas, and rosemary. Sweet potatoes are high in essential minerals and dietary fiber. Peas are a good source of lutein for skin, eye, and heart health and rosemary works as a safe, natural anti-microbial.
- Chicken — Ollie’s chicken recipe is inspired by pot pie. In addition to chicken and peas, Ollie’s take on the classic dish includes nutritional superfoods, such as blueberries and cod liver oil, and includes other key ingredients such as carrots, spinach, and white rice. Carrots and rice are packed with phytonutrients, which are great for eye health, and spinach is high in iron and antioxidants. This recipe is a great choice for any pet owner concerned about the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) warning about the possible correlation between grain-free dog food and dilated cardiomyopathy.
- Turkey — Ollie’s turkey recipe is formulated around turkey breast, turkey liver, and vitamin-rich pumpkin. Other key ingredients include phytonutrient-rich carrots for eye health and blueberries, which are high in antioxidants that fight free radicals. In addition, this recipe contains chia seeds, which are a great source of copper, zinc, and manganese. The turkey recipe is currently unavailable.
- Lamb — Ollie’s lamb recipe may be a good option for dogs who suffer from food allergies. In addition to lamb, this recipe contains nutrient-dense cranberries and cod liver oil. Other key ingredients include butternut squash, which contains healthy vitamins and minerals, fiber for improved digestion, and kale, which is high in beta carotene for healthy skin and fur.
Ollie fresh dog food’s unique features make feeding your dog high-quality meals neat and easy.
- Personalized quiz — Dog owners are asked to complete a quiz about their dog’s age, weight, breed, activity level, and allergies, so Ollie can recommend a customized veterinary-certified meal. Ollie will also calculate your dog’s daily energy requirements based on this information, and suggest portion sizes that will meet, but not exceed, your dog’s calorie needs.
- Food packs — Meals arrive ready to serve, or to store in individually sealed packets.
- Feeding guide — Custom instructions help dog owners know how to smoothly transition their dog from their current food to Ollie’s fresh food.
- Scoop — An easy to use, free serving utensil is provided, to help serve your dog’s food.
- Puptainer — A free storage container is also provided, to keep your dog’s food fresh and your fridge in order.
Ollie’s pros include:
- High quality food — Ollie fresh food has been formulated by veterinary nutrition specialists using high-quality ingredients in human-grade kitchens. Meat is the first ingredient in every Ollie recipe, and organ meat is also typically included. No preservatives, fillers, artificial flavors, or byproducts are used.
- Great taste — Most dogs find Ollie fresh food extremely palatable, and get excited for meal times.
- Improved health — Many owners who give their dog Ollie food report improvement in their dog’s digestive issues, allergies, energy level, skin, and coat.
- Customized meals — Ollie uses the quiz information you provide to customize a meal plan for your dog.
- Convenience — Ollie fresh food is delivered directly to your door.
Ollie’s cons include:
- Expense — Some dog owners may consider the price point as high.
- Difficulty during training/enrichment — Separate, dry treats are likely more conducive to training and enrichment work.
- Space — While convenient, the individually packaged containers can take up a lot of refrigerator/freezer space.
Ollie provides high quality-dog food and conveniently delivers your dog’s tasty, nutrient-rich meals to your doorstep. In addition, Ollie’s starter kit includes a user-friendly container and scoop to help you stay organized, as well as a custom feeding guide to make the transition to Ollie smooth and easy.
Information as of 6/30/22