If you are looking for a canned food that looks a bit more like human food than the usual pates or chunks in jelly, then you might have come across the Wellness Stews. Wellness was one of the original “natural” pet food brands in the U.S. and has been making dog food for over twenty years. This review focuses on their Lamb & Beef Stew.
Most of the ingredients in Wellness Lamb & Beef Stew are recognizable. The main protein sources are lamb (broth, meat, and liver) and beef (meat and liver), and egg, with a few fruits and vegetables (carrots, apples, and spinach), and then rice and potato providing some carbohydrates. There is also some salmon oil, probably for added essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins, as well as a few herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, and mint).
The rest of the ingredients are mostly vitamins and minerals, but there are a few that you might not recognize:
- Mixed Tocopherols are compounds related to vitamin E, natural antioxidants which help to preserve food.
- Guar Gum is a natural thickening agent, probably to improve the texture of the stew’s sauce.
- Sodium Phosphate is also a thickening agent.
- Choline Chloride is a source of choline, an essential nutrient that is important for liver health.
Wellness Lamb & Beef Stew is formulated to meet AAFCO nutritional guidelines for growth and maintenance but is not suitable for puppies who will weigh over 70 lbs (32 kgs) when fully grown. It is also not suitable for pregnant or lactating dogs.
Wellness pet foods use BPA-free packaging. The Lamb & Beef Stew is not organic, and there is currently no information available on any welfare standards used for their meat or eggs.
Health Benefits of Wellness Lamb & Beef Stew
Wellness claims there are several different benefits that dogs can get from eating their stews:
Is this stew going to give your dog more energy?
If, for example, your dog finds his or her current diet hard to digest or reacts to one of the ingredients, then switching diets might help your dog feel better, and they might have more energy as a result.
This stew also contains, lamb, beef, and egg, all of which can be common protein allergies for dogs. If your dog does suffer from food allergies, speak to your veterinarian before changing diets.
A Healthy Immune System
A healthy, balanced diet is vital for your dog’s immune system to function properly. As this stew is made to AAFCO nutritional guidelines, it should contain everything that your dog needs for a healthy immune system.
Whole Body Health & Longevity
Good nutrition is key to helping our pets live long, healthy lives. As this stew has been formulated to AAFCO guidelines, we can be confident that it will supply our dogs with all the nutrients that they need to live their best lives!
Pros and Cons of Wellness Lamb & Beef Stew
- A nutritionally balanced formula that should provide adult dogs and smaller-breed puppies with everything they need.
- A more interesting and varied texture than many canned foods, which may appeal to fussy dogs.
- BPA-free packaging.
- A mix of protein sources means it may not be a good choice for dogs with food allergies.
- Not suitable for puppies who will grow to be over 70 lbs (32 kgs) in weight.
- Formula is not tailored to different life stages.
If you have an adult dog or a smaller-breed puppy (less than 70 lbs/32 kgs when grown), then Wellness Lamb & Beef Stew should provide them with all the nutrients that they need to live a happy, healthy life. However, this stew should not be fed to large-breed puppies, and may also not be suitable for dogs with food allergies. If your dog has any long-term health issues, always consult your veterinarian before changing diets.
Information as of 6/30/22